« Home | Numerous websites are now popping up, critical of ... » | Holy crap. This is the funniest fark thread I've ... » | Just in case you've never heard this, a fellow blo... » | Here is a very cool article on Microsoft's Open So... » | I'm back to blogging solo since the community gig ... » | Our Addiction To Oil...The POTUS saying we are add... » | Diggfan.com Thank you to all the folks that gave ... » | Pr1nt3r H@x0rJust when you thought you'd secured y... » | Duplicity So here's a question. The big no-no o... » | In honor of Martin Luther King Jr.. » 

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 

Recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake on an older Compaq desktop I had laying around. The amazing thing about this old comp is that it's very quiet compared to my normal desktop PC...but I digress.

This old Compaq has an Intel i810 graphics chip. Essentially it's the graphics chip built into the motherboard and utilizes system RAM for video memory (ugh). My Benq FP91G+ LCD monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024. The default installation of 6.06 sets my resolution at 1024x768. This is okay, but I want and like the native resolution. I went to change it under System > Preferences > Screen Resolution but there were no options to set it higher. Crap.

After some research I found out that you can reconfigure xorg by following these steps.

Open a terminal window and type
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Stepping through the configuration solved my problem with the exception of color depth. The default was 24 and I selected that during the configuration. Once I got back to the desktop, I could select 1280x1024 easily enough, but it was unusable. There were vertical lines running the height of my monitor and spaced our horizontally, every inch or so. This wasn't going to work. I finally found out through a little more research, that instead of the default color depth of 24, I reran the configuration and selected a 16bit color depth. Not ideal, but at least my LCD is at it's native resolution.